It seems the age-old question, "To be, or not to be?" has been replaced with a new one: to blog or not to blog? Is it enough to merely BE in the physical world? Or must we create an identity online? Our "cyber-self" if you will.
In a society where the world is at our finger tips some of us opt to have those finger tips take us to a smaller world, the world of our social network. If I tried to keep up on the world and its news, I would go mad! However, I can keep up on the world of my friends and their lives. One way I can do this is by reading their blog.
Some people may ask: what's in a blog? Well, to be quiet frank, lots of things! If you tried hard enough (and by hard enough I mean going to google and typing in ______ blog) you can find a blog on any subject. I am interested though in personal blogs.
Why do we blog? Many say, "just to express ourselves"... Well if we are blogging to express ourselves, to whom do we wish to express? For most of us, we'd be lucky to have 25 people be regular visitors of our blogs. Is it worth our time so they can take five minutes a day to read about how our cat looks so cute in the brown paper bag he is playing in, or about how our neighbor's new shed is casting a shadow on our flower bed? Maybe.
I feel there might be a bigger purpose to blogging, but only for those who want to make it that way. If you want to blog about life's small moments, by all means! If you want to start a blog in hopes of changing with world, please, give it a shot!
Blogging is fun for many, whether to update family and friends on life, or to fight a social injustice or polital campaign.
So, to blog or not to blog? That is a question, but maybe not THE question. Having or not having a blog or a cyber identity does not mean someone cannot BE, they just cannot BE (or blog) online.
Thursday, May 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment