Digital literacy is an interesting topic to me because I honestly don't consider myself to be very digitally literate (DL).
I think that most people would expect a 20-something who attends a great university to know a fair amount about computers. Well, I suppose I am the exception to that rule. Growing up I never had a computer in my home, which right there is the main reason why I am not terribly DL. It is rather ironic actually: the day I finished my last final my senior year of high school, I came home to a brand new Dell computer sitting in a box on the floor; my thoughts of course being, "I could have used that these past four years."
I bought a Mac the summer before I came to college and in three years I have only updated its applications one time. And I have never backed up anything on an external hard-drive... although I have meant to do so. I also don't know many of the commands that make using a mac "so easy." I have never set up the "Mail" application that many Mac users rave about. I have never owned a thumb-drive (I just e-mail everything to myself). I just don't know how, and I guess I am a little apathetic towards doing so.
However, I have a feeling that this all will bite me in the butt someday. I think having a low DL level will hinder me a year from now when I am on the prowl for a job. I suppose I feel lame for asking 'stupid' questions to my peers about a subject I feel I should be knowledgeable about.
Do I wish I was more DL? Yes. Does it really hinder my everyday life? Not too much. However, I think I should get my computer IQ up soon, because my future employer is going to expect it of me.
Saturday, June 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment