I must say: I don’t really understand the world of gaming.
Growing up I never got into video games, in part because we didn’t have a computer so online game wasn’t an option.
One day though, my mom decided I need a Play Station 2. Her best friend’s son, Zach, who was my best friend, had one and she thought I should have one to. I didn’t necessarily want one but I didn’t mind having one. Growing up in a single parent home with three other siblings, I knew money was tight for us so I was a little weary of why my mom was so adamant about making sure I had one.
Anyway, Zach’s mom offered to sell us Zach’s PS2 so that he could upgrade to the newest system, after all he was actually a gamer. My mom said no thanks and that we would buy a new one. Later I asked her why we couldn’t just buy Zach’s; after all I really didn’t have a burning passion to have on in the first place. My mom said, “why can’t my kid have something new? Why do my kids always have to have second best?” Turns out it was more of a pride issue of a mom wanting to provide something nice for her kids than simply just getting the game system. I remember feeling bad for getting one, but it was something my mom wanted to bless us with out of her hard earned money.
Even with the PS2 I never got into gaming. Yeah I played it a fair amount, but it was never an addiction, I think I had about three games.
Gaming is life for some people. They get all the gaming magazines, they keep updated on all the gaming news, and they play it for hours a day. Many of these avid gamers are submerged in the worlds of their games. They dress like their characters in the games and they go to gaming conventions and role-play. I can’t say I understand the addiction and the need to seek identity via video games, but I am sure people could say the same about me and my hobbies. No judgement here.
Monday, June 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment